Near the Old Man of Storr, Scotland I took this in 2004

Saturday, November 6, 2010

All things otters, and such like

Best friends
Holding hands, asleep! How cute is that!?
A pile of baby sea otters-sleeping.
Cute
Still holding hands; they are just that cute.

Ok, I need a wee dose of adorable..so I came upon a cute-as-cute picture of sea otters. However, these all too cute mammals are also a threatened species, and the evilness that is the BP disastor, has caused and will contine to cause many otters and other sea faring beings as well as birds to become endangered. As well, obvioulsly many beings died slow, painful deaths.

I found an article, above, about the
threatened sea otters. The article incorrectly has them listed as "extinct", which is not the case. Clearly the writer doesn't understand the meaning of the word. However, they are endangered and were at one point on the brink of extinction. Also on the list of animals on the endangered list, which was a shock to me, Atlantic salmon.
http://library.thinkquest.org/J0112412/sea_otter.htm

http://hubpages.com/hub/Animals-Endangered-by-the-Gulf-Oil-Spill-Endangered-Species-Facts--This is an article about animals who have become endangered as a result of BP's fuck up.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2010/06/photogalleries/100608-gulf-oil-spill-environment-birds-animals-pictures/#/gulf-oil-spill-killing-wildlife-exhausted-pelican_21354_600x450.jpg-- ( I was too lazy to link this one, it's kind of long) Here's a link to National Geographic's photos of animals in the BP oil. It's sad and awful. Humans always take advantage of the earth and the beings who live gently on it.

4 comments:

  1. aWWW OTTERS! I love them. I spent hours staring at them at the Monteray Bay Aquarium and the rehab center they have for them at the San Diego zoo. I've never seen such small baby otters tho. Awww I'm gonna be thinking of them all day

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love them too. I love watching them swim at the Toronto Zoo; they swim and leap, and are adorable.
    They kinda remind me of platypi..remember I posted a wee video of the platypus swimming, last year?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I remember the platypi, I sent you that illustration I found of the pile of platypi or should I say platy-pile :)

    ReplyDelete